Friday, August 13, 2010

Chubby Pink Face



After dinner, I pulled the bench from the dining room table over to the window so I could read by natural light. I don't know why I wanted to read there, just an urge for some reason. Craig and our babies were in the other room watching some strange kids movie that Craig had found on Netflix. Normally, I would've sat in with them, wanting to just spend time with them, but this time I wanted to read. I was grateful to Craig for letting me spend a while with myself. Completely absorbed in the story, I didn't notice Evelynn waddle up. By the time I did realize she was there she was already smacking my arm and yelling "Ma!" I looked down at her and my heart melted.
Her chubby little face was still covered in sauce and grease from the pizza we had for dinner. The light from the setting sun shone in the window and illuminated her shiny face in pink light. When she moved the shine showed every little curve on her face. She looked beautiful... young... dependent. I was overcome by the feeling of my responsibility to guide this little one in life, to be an example to her of what a Godly woman should be.
I know you're thinking, "Whoa, all this from a little grease and sunshine?" But it's true. I put down my book and cradled her. Does God really think I can do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment