Monday, March 29, 2010

It's Not Easy Being "Green"

(I don't have a picture to go with this post, so here is Evelynn with her first Oreo. It was mint)

We do our best to cut down on waste in our house. We don't leave lights on. We reuse plastic bags, put kitchen scraps in the compost, use a water saving shower head, take anything that can be recycled to the nearest recycling bin, donate unwanted things to VOA, and recently I have started making things from old worn out clothes so they don't just go to the landfill. It is not our desire to be "green". Truthfully, we had been doing the majority of these things before it was cool to do so. Being Christians, we have a desire to be good stewards of the home God has given us.

I have a big problem with the "green" movement that is going throughout our nation, and our world. I am not meaning to be dramatic or anything, but I see it as Satan's newest way of diverting our attention. It is the new hip religion in a way. With this movement we basically become mini-saviors to ourselves and the world. But God has made it perfectly clear that one Savior is
sufficient. We can not save the Earth. God is in control of it. That is not to say that we should live in a wasteful way, destroying it and its beauty. On the contrary, we have been called to take care of the earth, but we are also called to have dominion over it. God has designed all of creation for us to use to His glory. That means we should be doing all we can to reduce our waste, and keep the earth unpolluted, but we also should be using natural resources God has given us, just not in a way that ravages the earth.

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but I have met other Christians that feel the same way, that something is "just not right" with being "green". The movement can actually give me kind of a creepy feeling sometimes. I am always cautious when claiming that God is telling me something, but I do think this feeling comes because He is reminding me that the movement is man-centered and not meant for
His glory.

In these times, I believe Satan does his best to disguise his work. Just as Charles Baudelaire said, "
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." He tries to make things seem harmless. But anything that takes our focus away from God is not harmless. So I believe getting caught up in the "green" movement can have eternal consequences. Do your best to take care of the earth, but do it to the glory of God. Don't fall into the trap of thinking we can save ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment